Thursday, October 9, 2008

Nonsense words and seven and a half things

New nonsense:

Consporgulation: The application of Inter-forward Programming to maximal efficacy in customer management functionalities.

Thingwally: Thinggummy's nemesis.

Its an easy transition from this nonsense to the "seven and a half habits of highly successful lifelong learners." I have always been puzzled by the American tendency to present ideas about learning as if a therapist on Valium were speaking to an audience on Prozac. I can think of some fairly chaotic and nasty things to say about this, but as criticism of a superficial little slide show, it would be a waste of time. Be a little more frank? --If you don't continue to learn you will be either brain-dead or a serf with a big screen TV? I laughed especially hard at the notion of a written contract, which I suppose is just a nice, well-intended, middlebrow thought experiment. While I was trying to speed-up my trip through the site, the words of an old song that was popular in the early seventies came to me, the one about "all the little houses made of ticky-tacky." And inside them, how about all the little minds, "filled up with nicky-nacky?" Little homilies turn me off.

No comments: