Saturday, December 27, 2008

Thing #13 What are you wearing right now?

I have experimented with twitter. I can see how using it to microblog could be useful to support a common effort, like sharing alerts about useful resources for a class, for example. Twitter is also presented as a way to sustain connections between people, as a friendship tool, so to speak. I'm more skeptical about that--or maybe type of people who twitter a lot about themselves are just not very interesting. Most of the tweets I encountered were pretty banal (and I would not claim my own were any more interesting). Even the tweets from the Nebraska Library Camp in Lincoln were, I thought (sorry people!) mostly just useless chatter.

I mentioned Steve Talbott in an earlier post. A phrase of his came to mind as I was lurking and scanning through what people have to say about themselves: "The technical opportunity to become friendlier is also an opportunity to become unfriendly at a more decisive level."

No comments: